How do I install a back flow style brake solenoid?
Vehicle Wiring Directions
- Disconnect trailer hitch and any wiring connectors from the vehicle.
- Connect a 14 gauge wire to the backup (reverse) light wire of the vehicle. This wire should be of sufficient length to attach to the existing vehicle/trailer wire receptacle. The end of this wire will require a female end that will match the solenoid male connector wire.
- For ease of use, tape or band the end of the reverse light wire to the vehicle's trailer electrical connector.
Solenoid Installation Directions
Caution: Brake fluid can cause damage to painted areas. Use a cloth rag under the actuator/brake line connection to collect any spilled brake fluid.
The Back Flow model can only be used with actuators designed for back flow solenoids. Master cylinder must have a pre-drilled and tapped hole that provides a return flow of brake fluid. All Tie Down model actuators have this provision. The instructions and pictures refer to Tie Down Actuators.
- Remove the brake line and pipe fitting (if so equipped) from the rear of the actuator/master cylinder.
- Remove the brass plug from the master cylinder that is in the upper right hand corner of the rear of the master cylinder.
- Screw in the actuator inlet fitting into the “return inlet” until tight. Use a liquid type thread sealant, be careful not to allow sealant to block fluid movement.
- Attach the small short hose to the inlet fitting. Band the tube to the fitting with a cable tie, cutting off excess tie after tightening.
- Screw the solenoid valve into the master cylinder where the brake line was removed. Use a thread sealant making sure not to place near the end of the threads so as not to obstruct fluid flow. “Finished” position of the solenoid should be as pictured.
- Attach the other end of the small tube to the solenoid as shown. Tie band with cable tie provided. Cut off excess cable tie.
- Attach brake line to solenoid. Do not use thread sealant on this connection.
- Bleed brakes according to brake and actuator manufacturer’s instructions.
- Install electrical wire from solenoid to the reverse lights of the tow vehicle.
- Test vehicle in a protected area before traveling on streets or highways